11801 Domain Blvd., 3rd Floor
Austin, TX 78758 Get Direction

Is Landlord Insurance the Same as Home Insurance?

If you own property that you are considering turning into a rental property, you may find yourself wondering what landlord insurance is, and if it is the same as home insurance or how it varies from home insurance. Landlord insurance is one of the insurance products offered by Armadillo Insurance Agency, serving residents in the greater Austin, TX area, and we would love to help you understand exactly what landlord insurance is. 

What is Landlord Insurance? 

Landlord insurance is designed to cover a rental property from disasters and emergencies. This may include things such as pipes bursting and covering water damage or hail damage occurring to your roof. As a general rule of thumb, landlord insurance covers the structure of your property the same way home insurance does. Despite many myths online, landlord insurance does not compensate the landlord for tenants that damage their property or that do not pay their rent. 

How Does Landlord Insurance Differ From Home Insurance? 

The biggest difference between landlord insurance and home insurance is the property that is stored inside your home. Home insurance covers not only the structure of your home, but everything you have stored inside of the home as well, such as clothing, jewelry, artwork, electronics, and furniture.

Landlord insurance does not cover these items, as you are not living in the home. A renter should obtain renters insurance to cover their property, while you should obtain landlord insurance to protect the property and structure of your investment property. 

Get The Right Coverage Today

If you have an investment property that you are looking to insure, the experienced and knowledgeable agents at Armadillo Insurance Agency, serving the greater Austin, TX region, would love to help you insure that property. Call or email us today and let’s work together to ensure the property is fully covered. 

What Are The Different Types Of Landlord Insurance?

There are a few different types of landlord insurance policies that you can choose from. It’s important to understand the differences between each type so you can make an informed decision about which policy is best for you. Armadillo Insurance Agency in Austin, TX is here to navigate this important insurance coverage.

Here are the three most common types of landlord insurance policies: property damage, liability, and rental income protection.

1. Property Damage Insurance

This type of insurance policy covers the physical structure of your rental property. This includes the walls, floors, ceilings, windows, and doors. It also covers any fixtures or appliances that are permanently attached to the property, such as built-in cabinets or countertops. If your rental property is damaged by fire, wind, hail, or other covered events, this policy will help you pay to repair or replace the damaged property.

2. Liability Insurance

Liability insurance protects you from being sued for negligent actions that result in injury or property damage. If a tenant is injured on your property, or if their belongings are damaged, they could sue you for compensation. This policy will help pay for your legal defense costs, as well as any damages you’re ordered to pay by a court.

Liability insurance also covers you if someone is injured while on your property, even if they’re not a tenant. For example, if a delivery person slips and falls on your icy sidewalk, they could sue you for their medical bills and lost wages.

3. Rental Income Protection

If your rental property is damaged by a covered event, such as fire or wind damage, it can take months to repair or replace the property. This can leave you without any income from your rental property during that time. Rental income protection insurance from Armadillo Insurance Agency will help reimburse you for the lost rental income while your property is being repaired.

Give Us A Call

There are a few different types of landlord insurance policies to choose from. It’s important to understand the differences between each type so you can make an informed decision about which policy is best for you. If you have any questions about landlord insurance, or if you would like to get a quote, please contact Armadillo Insurance Agency in Austin, TX. We are here to help.

A Beginners Guide to Landlords Insurance

If you own a residential property you are renting in Austin, TX, do not assume that your homeowner’s insurance will cover all costs associated with a disaster, accident, or other damaging incidents. It’s highly likely that your homeowners’ insurance policy will only cover owner-occupied homes. As soon as the room is rented out, the coverage no longer applies, and the landlord is responsible for 100% of the costs associated with damages. Luckily, landlord insurance is able to help and includes three key components. Armadillo Insurance Agency can assist you with the details.

Coverage Provided By Landlords Insurance 

  1. Property Damage: This coverage kicks in when your rental property or furnishings are destroyed or damaged in a covered incident such as a fire, natural disaster, electric/gas issue, vandalism, or irresponsible tenants. When searching for a landlord insurance policy look for one that offers replacement cost protection instead of the actual cash value to protect you best. 
  2. Lost Rental Income: If your rental property becomes uninhabitable because of a covered incident, this coverage offers rental reimbursement to cover the rent money you typically receive if tenants are living in residence. 
  3. Liability Protection: Covers the legal and/or medical costs if a tenant or visitor is injured at your rental due to a property maintenance issue or neglect. 

In addition to the three core pieces identified above, landlords have the option to purchase additional coverage for extra peace of mind. The most popular of these add-ons include guaranteed income insurance whereby, if the tenant fails to pay rent or pays less than the amount owed, this policy will cover the difference.

Give the Armadillo Insurance Agency a call for more information on landlord insurance in Austin, TX. We’ll take the time to answer all your questions and customize a policy that best meets your needs. 

What Types of Insurance Do You Need as a Landlord

If you are a landlord, there are many hats that you have to wear. However, as a landlord, you also need to look out for yourself. You need to protect your investment, as well as yourself. For this reason, you need to make sure that you have enough insurance to cover your real estate business. 

So, what do you need? Here are the types of insurance that you need for your business. 

Basic landlord insurance is like homeowners insurance. It is used to cover any damage that may occur to your property. Liability is also included. This will help you if anyone gets injured on your property. It will also cover legal bills if you get sued due to injuries. You may also have some loss of income coverage. 

Building code insurance. You may want to look into this type of insurance. This could be a lifesaver if you need to update your building to make sure that it is up to code. This will help to cover these expenses, which can be quite expensive. 

Non-occupied dwelling coverage. Though most basic plans will cover loss of income, the truth is that they won’t cover it indefinitely. It may help you pay your bills if the building is unoccupied for a month or so. This extra coverage will protect your investment for an extended period of time. 

If you truly want to make sure that you have enough insurance and are fully protected, you may want to talk to a professional. Here in Austin, TX, you need to contact us at Armadillo Insurance Agency. We would be glad to talk to you about your options.